Colin Murray

Dartmouth College, Hinman Box 2152 Hanover, NH 03755 (603) 646-5285 Colin.B.Murray@dartmouth.edu

Here is my resume: HTML PDF



Portfolio

To date I have taken two project classes in the Engineering department. The first was digital electronics for which I created a version of Nibbles. The second was introduction to Engineering. That is where I was introduced to product design. The class is project based. At the beginning of the course, the students are given an area to find a problem in. Ours was "Sports and Recreation."

Engs 31 - Digital Electronics

This is the first project course that I took here at Dartmouth. We used programs like Capture and PSpice A/D to model our circuits. After using these tools to map out our data structure, we made our project - Nibbles - the game that's all the craze on people's cell phones. I don't have any pictures of it working, or of our schematics, but here you can see our circuitry:

Engs 21 - Intro to Engineering

Above is a video of our final prototype. We chose to investigate the safety problems of bench pressing without a spotter. We had two different ideas. The first was a complex rolling weight design that we decided against because it wasn't feasible. In our next brainstorming session, we realized that we needed to this outside the bar, and came up with the idea of a collapsing bench. We sketched out the possible ways of collapsing a bench. We used matrices with weighted columns (cost, time, feasibility, etc.) to decide on the best design. The final decision was to work with hydraulic or pneumatic cylinders. These cylinders have a low force to actuate them, are built to support heavy loads, and are relatively low maintenance.

With this in mind, we started designing prototypes using a number of different methods, which are described here.

Part of our design was for a box with complex moving parts. Because none of the parts needed to be tested for stress (because the only weight bearing portions were ordered from a desk-chair cylinder company), we used Vellum3D to model the parts. Here is a sample of those drawings followed by a picture of the inside of the box.





In order to be able to weld the rack, we needed to create a blue print, which was best done using ProE. Here is our ProE printout without all the measurements:

Here is one of the machine room workers welding the cuffs to hold the cylinders.

This was a part of the final prototype, which you can see below.


In the end, we decided that the actual version would have an adjustable safety rack. Our group is currently working on patenting our idea with a lawyer in Boston.



Thank you for taking the time to look over my portfolio. If you have any questions or comments, please e-mail me at Colin.B.Murray@Dartmouth.EDU.